Macaulay Culkin opens up on 30-year estrangement from dad Kit
NEW YORK — Former child actor Macaulay Culkin opened up about his relationship with his estranged father Christopher “Kit” Culkin in a podcast appearance.
The “Home Alone” star, 44, told Kate Hudson and Oliver Hudson on a recent episode of their “Sibling Revelry” podcast he “wanted nothing to do with [his] father” after his parents separated decades ago during Culkin’s time in the spotlight.
Their divorce kicked off a high-profile custody battle between Christopher Culkin and Patricia Brentrup over their seven children.
“I haven’t spoken to him in, what would it be, about 30-something years?” Macaulay told the Hudsons. “He deserves it, too. He’s a man who — he has seven kids, and now he has four grandkids, and none of them want anything to do with him.”
“I would know, as a man myself, I would know that I (expletive) up. I must have done something wrong,” he said. “I have more than an inkling that he does not feel that way. Like [to him,] we’re wrong, and he’s right. He’s one of those narcissistic crazy people. Me and him were always butting heads. Like I said, he was a bad man.”
Culkin added that his siblings’ attempts to reconnect with their dad had gone badly.
“As far as I know, I think my older brother had some contact with him at one point. But I think that turned sour pretty fast again,” he said.
Culkin said ultimately his father could not handle the young actor’s rapid success.
“[He] wanted to be an actor, and he kinda did some stuff,” Culkin said. “And right out of the bat … I instantly booked all these things like that. And I think he resented me for that. I think he kind of hated me a little bit for that.”
“One of my earliest memories of him was, ‘When I grow up, this is how I’m not gonna be with my kids,'” the actor said.
Culkin is engaged to actress Brenda Song, with whom he shares two sons.
He previously discussed his father’s abuse on a 2018 episode of “WTF with Marc Maron.”
———
Tony Bennett's daughters file new lawsuit against their brother over late father's estate
NEW YORK — Tony Bennett's two daughters have filed a new lawsuit against their brother, alleging he illegally enriched himself at their expense against their father's wishes both before and after the legendary singer's death in 2023.
Antonia and Johanna Bennett filed the lawsuit Monday in New York against D’Andrea “Danny” Bennett, who was their father's manager and heads their family trust.
“Since Tony’s death, Johanna and Antonia have discovered that Danny exercised complete and unchecked control over Tony and his financial affairs prior to and following his death through multiple fiduciary and other roles of authority that Danny has abused, and continues to abuse, for his own significant financial gain,” the suit alleges.
It says Danny Bennett took advantage of his father's diminished capacity late in life due to Alzheimer's disease to make deals to make millions for himself and his company, including the sale shortly before his death of Tony Bennett’s catalog and his name, likeness and image rights to the brand development firm Iconoclast.
The sisters previously sued their brother in June seeking an accounting of their father's assets and alleging Danny Bennett had mishandled them. The new suit makes more serious and more specific allegations of wrongdoing.
Attorneys for Danny Bennett did not immediately respond to an after-hours email seeking comment.
In court filings in the previous lawsuit, his attorneys said the sisters’ claims were baseless, that they had been provided with sufficient accounting, and that Tony Bennett trusted Danny Bennett completely during his life and credited his son with pulling him out of financial troubles and reviving his career.
Danny Bennett was his father’s personal and professional manager with power of attorney, was manager of his company Benedetto Arts, and is the trustee of the family trust, the suit says.
The new lawsuit accuses him of benefiting from “self-interested and conflicted transactions, excessive and unearned commissions,” and “substantial loans and gifts to himself and his children” that have diminished assets that Tony Bennett's will calls for his four children to split equally.
Another brother, Daegal “Dae” Bennett, and Tony’s widow, Susan Bennett, were also named as defendants in the lawsuit.
The suit says the sisters have received a “single modest distribution” of $245,000 apiece that is “nowhere close to what they believe they are entitled to receive.”
The sisters also allege their brother has gotten rid of items of great sentimental value to them in a “malicious and retaliatory manner” after their attempts to get an accounting through the previous lawsuit.
Bennett's piano, which Antonia says was promised to her, was in “terrible condition” when they were allowed to see it in a tour of the singer's apartment, where they say they were denied access to much of his property.
The lawsuit seeks damages to be determined at trial, and for a judge to remove Danny Bennett as head of the family trust.
Tony Bennett, a legendary interpreter of classic American songs who created new standards including “I Left My Heart In San Francisco,” died in 2023 at age 96. There was no specific cause, but he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2016.
———
Josh Brolin, Francis Ford Coppola and Michael Mann pay tribute to Val Kilmer after his death
Actor Josh Brolin, director Francis Ford Coppola and director Michael Mann are among those paying tribute to Val Kilmer, who died Tuesday at age 65. Here's a look at some of the reactions.
“See ya, pal. I’m going to miss you. You were a smart, challenging, brave, uber-creative firecracker. There’s not a lot left of those. I hope to see you up there in the heavens when I eventually get there. Until then, amazing memories, lovely thoughts.” — Josh Brolin on Instagram.
“He was a wonderful person to work with and a joy to know — I will always remember him.” — Francis Ford Coppola on Instagram.
“While working with Val on ‘Heat’ I always marvelled at the range, the brilliant variability within the powerful current of Val’s possessing and expressing character. After so many years of Val battling disease and maintaining his spirit, this is tremendously sad news.” — Michael Mann, in a statement.
“Will miss u, U Were Funny, crazy, pain in the ass, GREAT FRIEND … BRILLIANT as Mark Twain, BRAVE here during ur sickness. — Cher on X.
“A long time ago, I was auditioning for the movie ‘The Doors’ It was kind of a cattle call. They paired together potential Jims with potential Pamelas. And they were running behind so we were spilling out of the casting office, sitting on the porch, the lawn, and the driveway. All of a sudden, a Sixties convertible came screeching up, blaring Doors music at top volume. And a guy jumped out and strode inside: He had wild hair and he was barefoot, shirtless, and wearing nothing but a pair of tight leather pants. We all looked at each other like … Who is this guy? We were more than a little shook by the sheer audacity of his entrance. Well, of course, it was Val Kilmer and from that minute on, nobody else stood a chance. RIP King.” — Jennifer Tilly on X.
“Remembering Val Kilmer, whose indelible cinematic mark spanned genres and generations. RIP Iceman.” — The “Top Gun” account on X.
“RIP Val Kilmer. Thank you for defining so many of the movies of my childhood. You truly were an icon.” — actor Josh Gad on Instagram.
“He was one of the main reasons I wanted to become an actor and why I felt it was so important for me to seek out classical training. He could do it all … drama, comedy, classical … He was great with a sword, a gun, a fighter jet, or a shot cup. Then on top of all of that, he could sing.” — Actor Joe Manganiello on Instagram.
“Rest in peace VAL KILMER. A brilliant actor and a good man.” — author Don Winslow on X.
“RIP Val Kilmer. If it wasn’t for our chance encounter at the Source in 1985, I may never have been cast in FULL METAL JACKET. Thanks, Val.” — actor Matthew Modine on X, referring to the Hollywood restaurant The Source.
“Listen, Val Kilmer had me wanting to fly fighter jets, be Batman, rob banks, and hunt lions as a kid. They don’t make too many movie stars like him anymore. Generational.” — writer-director Dylan Park-Pettiford on X.
“Rest in peace to our former campus mate, the great Val Kilmer (1959-2025), who at 17 was the youngest drama student ever admitted to The Julliard School’s Drama Division.” — Film at Lincoln Center on X.
“His rendition of Doc Holliday in ‘Tombstone’ was what every actor dreams of achieving. So many wonderful performances. Sad to lose him so soon. RIP Val Kilmer.” — James Woods on X.
From combined wire services